Wednesday, October 3, 2012

13.1 Thursdays–Juggling Life with Training for a Half Marathon

thirteen

Welcome back to another week of 13.1 Thursdays!  If you’re new here, this is my weekly recap of my journey to 13.1 miles (my first half marathon in November!) – welcome!

These past couple of weeks have been challenging on the training front.  I’ve mentioned before that I work full-time outside of the home, have church commitments and two girls in activities, and my husband works long days rendering me a single parent (essentially) 3-4 days a week.  I’m not sharing this because I feel that my plate is more full than anyone else’s nor am I wanting your pity (I love my full life!) – I’m sharing this because one of the hard facts of training is that it is time-consuming, and 45 minute – 2+ hour training runs are time away from my family, time that is (many weeks) limited anyway around all of the other life “stuff” going on.

Do you get me here?

I find myself envious (a lot lately) of my husband’s schedule because during the week, he basically has free time while the girls are at school to do whatever he needs to do (work out, laundry (yes, be jealous), yardwork).  Now he would be the first person to tell you that I have a fair share of free time to get things done, but by free time, I mean time that is not shared with anyone else.  I don’t have that.  And that means that when I need to train, I pretty much have to ask permission or get advanced clearance or whatever you want to call it because I have to excuse myself from whatever’s going on with my family to do so.  I would love to even have one day a week where this wasn’t the case.

Now I know I signed up for this, so I pretty much asked for this… but it doesn’t make it any easier.  And come November 11, if I don’t figure out how to make it work it’ll be a painful 13.1 miles.

So, how’d I do, you ask?

Friday: Rest (thanks to some heavy downpours… yay rain!)

Saturday: 5 miles (treadmill secondary to aforementioned rain and that’s about all I could stand on the treadmill…)

Sunday: Rest

Monday: Cross-Training DVD

Tuesday: 3 miles (treadmill – one of those husbandless nights – kids played on the neighborhood playground while I ran; such troopers with mama’s training!)

Wednesday: Rest

I’m going to have to figure out how to fit in a long run tomorrow since the hubs is pulling four 12s this weekend (unless I find a babysitter I guess).  Wish me luck!

Running Gear I Can’t Live Without:

adidas Women's Climalite Cush NS 3Pk

Adidas Climalite Cush Socks

I’m sure you want to know this, but my feet sweat a lot when I run, making my feet slip around and giving me blisters.  Ouch!  These thick socks wick away the moisture and cushion my feet really well – they make a huge difference, believe me.

My Pick-Up-The-Pace Playlist:

Good Time: Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen

Train: 50 Ways to Say Goodbye (love the part about the crappy purple Scion!)

Cher Lloyd: Want U Back (love going ugh!)

 

So another challenging week, but I’m not giving up.  I can do this!  If you’re finding it hard to stick to training or exercising because of all the life stuff, leave me a comment.  I’d love to send some encouragement your way!

38 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails