Thursday, October 23, 2014

DIY Lazy Susan

Whew!  The past week has been a real doozy for me at work so I haven't had a lot of energy in the evening hours... thus I'm just now posting my latest project, the DIY Lazy Susan that I shared in my No-Sew Halloween Runner tutorial.


I've had a dough bowl on my table for a while and while I love it, we had to do a lot of reaching around it when we were passing the salt or getting a napkin.  I thought a lazy susan would be a great solution - and a personalized one would be even better - so I picked up a few things and got to work.


To make your own, you'll need:
unfinished pine circular board (I found mine at Lowe's)
wood stain
sandpaper
paint
stencil
polyurethane
turnstyle hardware (found in cabinet section at home improvement store)



Instructions:

1.  Stain your board your desired color - I used weathered grey from Rustoleum - then sand with a fine-grit sandpaper.



 2. Stencil/draw your desired message.  I used a stencil for my smaller letters/numbers, placing them an inch away from the edge of the wood.  I freehanded the large U as I couldn't get the right size to print on my printer...





3.  Paint lettering.  I hand-painted all letters because I was going for a handpainted look, but you can certainly paint over the stencil if you want.



4. Once paint is dry, coat with polyurethane to protect the finish.

5.  Add turn-style hardware to opposite side of board.



6. I was worried about the turn-style scratching the surface of my table so I added a small piece of adhesive foam (from my craft stash) to pad it.  



That's all, guys.  Super easy, super inexpensive - I think this project cost me around $10.





I'm loving our new lazy susan - it's an addition that meets my criteria of being not only beautiful but also useful.  My girls enjoy spinning it to get their salt and pepper as opposed to reaching around the dough bowl/antlers that used to be in its place - I'll admit that sometimes they enjoy spinning it a little too much but oh well... they're only little for a while, right?

Hope you're having a great week - it's almost the weekend so hang in there!!

Linking here:
The Handmade Hangout
Inspiration Gallery
Inspire Me Please
Link Party Palooza
Show and Tell Saturday
The 36th Avenue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! Your comments are the chips to my salsa... can't live without 'em! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails